What to Look For in World Events:––A Scorecard
By Chris Cumming
In April of 2002, Garner Ted Armstrong gave a sermon, “The Culmination of Prophecy” in which he enumerated 14 points to look for in World events. This article will look at each point in light of events and trends since these points were given. Clearly some of these points have not fully developed as yet, so we will provide you with resources whereby you may monitor them for yourselves.
1) Look for a charismatic Arab leader who will attempt to bring Arab nations under the one green flag of Islam, who will become the king of the south of prophecy.
Analysis: I simply typed “Charismatic Arab Leader” into a news search engine and found a number of possibilities. In an article dated 12 June, “The Arabian Panther” I read of an up and coming Arab leader in the Arab European League by the name of Dyab Abou Jahjah. Quoting the first paragraph of the story:
In a recent article by the New York post, “Their Real Target is…You," we read of
one, Moqtada al-Sadr, a
30-year-old Shi'ite cleric who led a brief insurgency in Najaf and Kufa. Just
weeks ago, Arab satellite-TV and parts of the Western media had billed Sadr as
"a charismatic leader" capable of uniting Shiites and Sunnis and forcing a
humiliating U.S. withdrawal.”
The News Telegraph published an article, “Who’s Who in the Middle East” which has a lot of useful information for tracking this point.
We will continue to monitor this element closely.
2) Look for the creation of a
multi-national, all-European army or rapid-deployment force capable of
immediately launching an occupation of Palestine. That's already being formed.
3) Look for the intervention of a great false prophet who will give his blessing to the creating of a united Europe and its advance into Palestine.
Analysis: We have posted a number of stories indicating both the EU and Vatican interest in the Middle East, and specifically Israel and Jerusalem. The current pope is encouraging pilgrimages to the Holy Land. This could be a precursor to Vatican visits to Jerusalem and the ultimate moving of its world headquarters there. We may have to see a new pope come into power before this intervention takes place.
Resources: We track this coming event in our United Europe section.
4) Look for the building of a temple or the erection of a temporary structure and the dedication of a cornerstone, and the institution of priests and sacrifices in Jerusalem.
Analysis: This event has been building for some time. The cornerstone
presently exists and has been in procession around the Temple Mount. All of the
temple instruments are ready for immediate use. Priests have been in training
for years and animals for sacrifice have been and continue to be bred. Temple
building materials have been in preparation for some time. In addition, we have
seen a number of stories related to the collapse of different portions of the
Temple Mount walls; an event that could lead to a new temple being erected.
5) Look for some major catastrophe to strike Israel, which will cause either the government to approve the destruction of the Arab mosques, or a coup by the Israeli military to accomplish the same thing.
Analysis: Israel may use the precedent set by the US of selective destruction of Arab mosques in Iraq as an excuse to do the same. In light of the recent beheadings in Iraq, there has been a worldwide backlash against the Muslim faith witnessed by desecration of mosques in the US and elsewhere.
The recent troubles in Gaza and the West Bank are inflaming tensions between Israel and Arabs throughout the Middle East.
Speaking to a possible coup by Israeli military, one web site [now
gone or with new URL] stated:
On November 4, 1995, Israeli prime minister Yitzhak Rabin was gunned down at
point-blank range by an unrepentant 25-year-old Jewish extremist, Yigal Amir.
The Jewish-Palestinian struggle came full circle, as Israel discovered the
biggest threat to the peace accord may not be HAMAS, the Palestinian terrorist
group bent on Israel's destruction, but may come from right-wing Jewish
extremists within its own precarious borders.
6) Look for a combined attack of Arab armies against Israel.
Analysis: As the volatility in the Middle East amplifies, this prediction becomes increasingly possible. In a recent story by the Washington Times, “Nuclear terrorism realities” it states…
“A nuclear catastrophe could occur if terrorists gained access to nuclear weapons or weapons-grade materials, and if regional conflicts or instability degenerated into wars in which nuclear weapons were used, said a report by researchers at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace to a Nonproliferation Conference last week.
“In a region where Israel has nuclear weapons and other Middle Eastern states have, or are suspected to have, chemical and biological weapons, a nuclear Iran would add 'grave volatility to an already conflicted region,.' Egypt, Saudi Arabia or other nations might follow Iran's lead and initiate or renew nuclear programs, the report said.”
7) Watch for skyrocketing energy prices and a global economic meltdown with Japan as well as Europe and the United States plunging into a global great depression.
Analysis: For this item, go to our news commentaries:
8) Look for the emergence of dictators and kings to take over chaotic governments mired in depression, civil unrest, race wars, and anarchy.
of the world’s population, particularly in Iraq et al., does not have a clue
about democracy. They know only the rule of kings, caliphs, chieftains, or
dictators. The idea of one person, one vote is foreign to them, quite literally.
In another news story dated 1 June 04 from the Knight Ridder/Tribune News Service:
Arabs peek at democracy
“(KRT) - The following editorial appeared in the Chicago Tribune on Friday, May 28:
The two-day Arab League summit in Tunis closed May 23 on an unexpected note: a call for political and economic reform. Considering the league is a private club of emirs, kings and dictators, that's like Weight Watchers endorsing the Krispy Kreme doughnut diet.”
In yet another of many stories I found along these lines
Panel of Lebanese scholars analyzes Arab reform perspectives (7 June 04—The Daily Star)
By Hannah Wettig
"These three reasons formed the basis of the discussion: 'The Arab World cannot accept change imposed from outside. ... Reform cannot take place as long as the US does not address regional conflicts, especially Palestine ... and, there may not be a democratic alternative, because as soon as you open up the system, the Islamists will take over.'"
These stories lead us to one overwhelming conclusion that we WILL see kings and dictators rising to power throughout the world and especially the Middle East and Africa.
9) Continue to watch for major attacks against the West from terrorists, possibly using chemical, biological, and even nuclear dirty bomb weapons, attacking water supplies, transportation, nuclear power plants, and major centers of population.
Analysis: As I write this on the 28th of June, we just posted a WorldNetDaily story on the first use of weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) in Iraq. Since Mr. Armstrong made this prediction, there have been over 1,300 deaths as a result of terrorists’ acts and the number of injured hit a 21-year high last year. The US has been at an Elevated Alert status almost continually since last year and we have posted scores of government alerts to suspected targets here in the US. WorldNetDaily just posted a story about Saddam Hussein's missing weapons of mass destruction being in Syria, put there by him before the war. We have also posted stories indicating our security on watersheds, transportation systems and nuclear power plants is alarmingly inadequate.
Many experts have admitted that it not about “if”, but “when” the US will suffer terrorist attacks. Some will be of the kind indicated in this point.
10) Expect in the future major persecution of God's people and attacks against God's work on Earth by a great false church and her sympathizers.
Analysis: In a sermon, shortly before he died, Garner Ted Armstrong spoke about Matthew 24 and verses 9-10 (Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.). He pointed out that these verses would manifest themselves in worldly churches as well as God’s true churches. We are already seeing attacks on Christians throughout the world. In addition, we are seeing new hate-crime legislation that could impact every sermon-giving minister, should they speak against homosexuality and now “sexual orientation” and “gender identity.” All of this is a precursor to God’s church facing this kind of persecution.
11) Look for this king of the south to push at the beast power of Europe, such as an oil embargo, which would have to result in an immediate military occupation of the Middle East including the sources of oil.
Analysis: Clearly this is an event yet to take place. However, the
seeds for it are already being planted. Reference the two posted Word From
commentaries at our web site:
In these commentaries we show the dependence of Europe upon oil and one of the stated reasons for having forces for the EU, i.e., to protect the interests of this growing power bloc.
12) Look for the possibility that the invasion of Israel by the beast power is this time in an attempt to save the remaining Jews alive as a peacekeeping gesture rather that to occupy as if an enemy.
Analysis: This is one of the two key prophecies we are watching. It will herald the beginning of the Great Tribulation spoken of in Matthew 24 and Revelation 7. There have been a number of articles posted of nations in the Middle East asking for troops from the EU, NATO, the UN and others. Other articles record troop movements in and around the Middle East.
Resources: Two Key Prophecies—Jerusalem Compassed with Armies section at the EA web site.
Recent Headlines: (all these stories and more posted in Two Key Prophecies as noted above)
13) Watch for increasing earthquakes in diverse places, disease epidemics, and regional wars around the world; China might invade Taiwan, North Korea might invade South Korea, the Philippines or Vietnam or North Korea might invade each other to try to obtain the Spratley Islands. Look for an increase in heavenly signs such as meteor showers, and comets that might occur.
Recent Headlines from our Headline Archive:
14) Look for the eventual time when the work of God is going to be put down and out and will be censored and will be unable, anymore, to shout a witness and a warning.
Analysis: For God’s servants and churches, this is the culminating event. It will take place shortly before or as the Great Tribulation begins. At this point, we enter the “famine of the Word” (Amos 8:11). It will mark the beginning of the Work for the prophesied two witnesses (Revelation 11).
And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations. – Rev 13:7
Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD: – Amos 8:11
And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth. – Rev 11:3
When this web site is no longer accessible, assume this 14th point to be upon us. Until then, watch, as we are watching.
So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me. –Ezekiel 33:2
Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man. – Luke 21:36