Breaking News -- United Kingdom

Middle East European Union Israel Germany Earthquakes, Disasters what's new  
United Kingdom Far East United States Russia   home breaking news
 
Watch: Mob launches anti-Semitic attack on Stamford Hill synagogue
Telegraph

Six arrested after group of more than 20 men and women launch attack on north London synagogue as they shout 'kill the Jews'

A drunken mob of more than 20 thugs shouted "kill the Jews" as they stormed into a north London synagogue while young worshippers celebrated the end of the sabbath.

The anti-Semitic abuse was hurled by the group of men and women as they first beat up a young man outside before chasing him inside, breaking windows and attacking others.

Part of the chaotic incident in Stamford Hill was captured on video before the intruders were beaten back as the worshippers grabbed chairs to protect themselves.

Scotland Yard said six people - four men and two women - were later arrested on suspicion of public order offences and assault.

Synagogue elders, including Rabbi Maurice Davis, are convinced the attack was not religiously motivated and was merely a typical example of anti-social behaviour.

Young people were gathered together inside the Ahavas Torah synagogue when more than 20 partygoers tried to force their way into the building around 1.15am on Sunday.

They had attacked a Jewish youth outside and, when he took refuge inside the synagogue, they chased after him and attacked some of the boys inside.

Scotland Yard are treating the incident as an anti-Semitic attack, while some of the victims and their friends are fearful of further violence.

Meir Taub, who is a member of the local Shomrim, a Jewish patrol designed to crack down on violence against Jews, said he was called to the incident shortly after it began and was the first to call the police.

He said: "I came down and there was a huge group of people, men and women, trying to force their way into the synagogue.

"The window had already been smashed. Teenagers were shouting abuse. It was blatantly anti-Semitic, they came and attacked a synagogue."

Mr Taub added: "I was on the phone to the police all the time, I didn't interfere but others did. The number of these incidents has increased in the past few months, since before Charlie Hebdo. We're stepping up patrols and working with the police. The courts should take attacks like this seriously.

"I have clear footage which I'm going to show to the police, which clearly shows there were anti-Semitic chants."

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "The disturbance began when a group of drunk males, believed to have walked to the area from a house party nearby, tried to gain access to the synagogue.

"One man was injured as he sought to prevent the group from entering the building. He sustained facial injuries, not believed to be serious, and was taken to hospital for treatment.

"A small number of the group did briefly gain entry to the synagogue before being removed by security staff."

He added: "The incident is being treated as an anti-Semitic incident, due to remarks made by one of the group. However there is nothing to suggest that it was a planned or targeted attack.

"Six males were arrested for public order offences and assault. All were taken to a north London police station where they remain in custody."

Inspector Jonathan Waterfield said: "We are investigating to establish the full circumstances of the incident and to identify anyone else involved in the disturbance who has not yet been arrested.

"We have also increased police patrols in the Stamford Hill area to provide reassurance to the community."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11488480/Watch-Mob-launches-anti-Semitic-attack-on-Stamford-Hill-synagogue.html


Cameron backed £250,000 Government review into Britain's seagull menace
by Tom McTague, Deputy Political Editor for MailOnline

--David Cameron insisted he had nothing against 'entire seagull population'
--But the PM said one had once swooped on him to steal part of his lunch
--Budget committed £250,000 to an 'urban seagull' research fund
--It will find a solution for the noise, mess and disease caused by the birds

David Cameron backed a Government review into Britain's seagull menace – after a bird once stole the ham from his sandwich.

The Prime Minister insisted he had nothing against 'the entire seagull population', despite committing £250,000 in the Budget to tackling the scourge of Britain's seaside towns.

An 'urban seagull' research fund will be used to find a solution for the noise, mess, disease and aggression caused by the birds.

Despite efforts from local councils including using artificial eggs and experimenting with stronger refuse bags, the gull population in the UK is thought to have grown to more than a quarter of a million breeding pairs.

Last year, councils in the seaside resorts of Exmouth, Sidmouth and Seaton in Devon spent £15,000 on specially-bred 'super falcons' to try to stop seagulls from disturbing residents and tourists.

In 2013, Royal Mail said postmen would not deliver in a street in the Cornish coastal town of Perranporth after being injured by the swooping birds who dive-bomb and peck at their heads.

Asked whether he had ever been attacked by seagulls, the Prime Minister told the Western Morning News he had never felt 'particularly oppressed by seagulls'.

But he revealed: 'In my distant past I remember some seagulls taking the ham out of a sandwich. But I haven't held that against the entire seagull population since.'

Bath MP Don Foster, who held a 'seagull summit' in Parliament in 2012, said: 'Urban gulls cause mess, noise and damage to property, and are very aggressive in the nesting season.

'There is not enough data to enable a strategic approach to the problem, and I have long been pressing for funding to be given so that progress can be made.'

Labour have claimed the seagull fund and other small measures in the Budget are little more than 'pork barrel politics' aimed at winning over marginal seats have been dismissed by the coalition.

At least 16 marginal constituencies benefited from measures in the Budget, including £97 million for regeneration in Brent Cross, which straddles the ultra-marginal Hendon constituency where Conservative MP Matthew Offord has a majority of 106.

Lib Dem sources insisted the seagull study was aimed at tackling the problem nationwide and the Treasury said the Chancellor had set out economic plans for every region in the country.

Mr Foster has campaigned for action to be taken to tackle the 'menace' since before the Lib Dems entered government and hosted a 'seagull summit' three years ago.

A Liberal Democrat source said: 'It's just silly stuff from an Opposition trying to cause mischief.

'Urban seagulls are a serious issue across the country and Don Foster has fought a campaign to get a proper study done so they can be properly dealt with.'

A Treasury spokesman said: 'From investing £13 billion to improving transport across of the whole of the north of England to introducing 20 housing zones around the country to keep Britain building, from day one this Government has been committed to building a truly national recovery to close the long-term gaps between the north and south, London and the rest.

'The Chancellor has set out long-term economic plans for every region to make sure that Britain's prosperity is shared across the country and the Budget took this even further with ambitious investment in a wide range of areas like enterprise zones, flood defence and science to ensure that no industry and no region is left behind.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3003953/Cameron-backed-250-000-Government-review-Britain-s-seagull-menace-bird-stole-ham-sandwich.html


Tory suspended for EDL ‘plot to stir up race hate’
by James Tapsfield

A TORY candidate in a key general election marginal has been suspended after allegedly hatching a plot with far-right extremists to win votes by stirring up racial hatred.

Afzal Amin is accused of scheming with the English Defence League (EDL) to announce an inflammatory march against a new “mega-mosque” in the seat of Dudley North.

But the idea was reportedly for the protest to be scrapped, with Mr Amin taking the credit for defusing the situation.

In return, he allegedly promised that he would be an “unshakeable ally” for the EDL in parliament and help bring their views to the mainstream.

A Conservative Party spokesman confirmed that Mr Amin – who was apparently filmed covertly talking about the deal – had been suspended. “Following an emergency meeting it has been decided to suspend him as a candidate with immediate effect,” the spokesman said. “The Conservative Party views this as a matter of extremely serious concern.”

However, in a statement on his website last night, Mr Amin said the footage had been “grossly misrepresented and present an inaccurate picture of the reality of what was happening”.

“While the meetings were intended to be private and discreet, I made sure I involved Chief Superintendent Chris Johnson from the start and I made clear, which is evident in the recordings, that I refused to do anything illegal,” he said.

“During a time of heated tensions between various communities in our country, it’s vital that we tackle these problems and take difficult, sometimes uncomfortable, steps. The potential for inter-communal violence has become a real threat to the destabilisation of our country and we must prevent this at all costs.

“I recognised this as an opportunity to promote better community cohesion.

“Politics requires an amount of bravery and using my experience as a strategist in Afghanistan, negotiating between pro-Taleban militias and the US military, I decided to use the same tactics to improve community relations here in my own country between the EDL and Muslim communities.”

A full disciplinary hearing is expected to be held tomorrow, at which Mr Amin will be able to explain his actions and a decision on his future will be taken.

Prime Minister David Cameron is understood to have been informed and approves of the way it is being handled.

Mr Amin was reportedly filmed by former EDL leader Tommy Robinson, who blew the whistle because he objected to being used as a “pawn”.

The candidate, described on his website as a former army education officer to Princes William and Harry, outlined his plan to Mr Robinson and current EDL chairman Steve Eddowes at an Indian restaurant in Birmingham last Monday.

The 40-year-old allegedly suggested EDL members could be paid to canvass on his behalf, and floated the idea of a phoney protest, just weeks after a real demonstration in Dudley by 600 EDL supporters led to 30 arrests.

“This is my fantasy,” he apparently says in the footage. “If I could demonstrate to the people in Dudley that I can be a positive voice for community cohesion then that would help me a lot in the forthcoming election.

“One way of doing that is, if you were to announce a second march about the mosque… and then we have two meetings with the chief of police, members of the Muslim community, we all play our roles, you say, ‘Yeah we’re going to do a march, we’re campaigning and so on’.

“We have a second meeting where things are a bit calmer then at the third one, we say, ‘We were going to do a march. The police asked Afzal Amin, members of the Muslim community, we’ve sat together and… we’re going to work closely together’.”

Mr Amin had been due to take on sitting Labour MP Ian Austin in the election on 7 May.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/tory-suspended-for-edl-plot-to-stir-up-race-hate-1-3725680
 
(Disclaimer)        What to Look For in World Events:  Audio & Text  Video